2010 Illinois Election Round-Up
We crunched numbers, watched the wires and stayed up late. Here's what happened in the 2010 midterm election.
The results are (mostly) in. If you were following along with us and our live-blogging of the election returns, you know it was an interesting evening.
If you're just joining us, here's what happened...
At 1 a.m. the gubernatorial race was too close to call with thousands of ballots left to be counted. Democratic incumbent Pat Quinn leads by about 8,000 votes as of Wednesday morning but Republican Bill Brady has not conceded. Both candidates came forward and spoke to their supporters.
Around 12:07 a.m., Brady said that all votes and voices were going to be accounted for.
"We're going to make sure the process is done right," he said.
And, at 12:58 a.m., Quinn emerged from his hotel room.
"The people have won and I believe we have won," Quinn said emphatically. He led Brady by only a handful of votes – 10,933 votes to be exact. But, Quinn also said that he agreed with Brady's statement and all votes must be counted before a victor is decided. _
In a nail-biting race for Illinois's open U.S. Senate seat, Democratic candidate Alexi Giannoulias conceded to Republican opponent Mark Kirk at 11:34 p.m. Giannoulias received only 39 percent of the vote in Lake County while Kirk netted 57 percent of the vote. In Cook County, 52 percent of the vote went to Giannoulias and 43 percent to Kirk.
Technically speaking, votes are still being counted as the data reported by Patch, the Lake County Clerk's office and the Cook County Clerk's office did not include mail-in ballots, provisional ballots, late-arriving ballots and early vote ballots.
At the time this article was published, representatives from both county clerks' offices were unavailable for comment regarding when complete counts would be published and how these figured may affect political races.
Congress, 10th District
The race for congressional representative in the 10th District was also very close with a small amount of votes tipping the scales in favor of Republican Robert Dold.
In the Cook County Clerk's return update at 11:25 p.m., Dold had claimed 54 percent of the vote (Seals had earned 46 percent) but in Lake County, Seals owned 53 percent of the votes, leaving 47 percent to Dold.
Around midnight, Dold clinched the race, addressing his supporters, campaign staff, friends and family at his headquarters in Winnetka. In total, Dold won by about 4,000 votes.
State representative, 17th District
Cook County clerk
With 70 percent of the vote, David Orr held onto his position, beating out Republican Angel Garcia. Interestingly, the incumbent Orr spent the evening tallying votes from around the county, including his own race.
Incumbent Illinois Attorney GeneralL isa Madigan, lead her race early on and beat out Republican Steve Kim, the Green Party's David Black and Libertarian Bill Malan.
Secretary of State
Democrat Jesse White hung on to his seat earning a whopping 75 percent of the vote in Cook County and 66 percent in Lake County.
For more information on individual races:
Cook County tallies http://electionnight.cookcountyclerk.com/
Lake County tallies http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/IL/Lake/22330/38753/en/summary.html