By appearance, New China Chop Suey looks like another carry-out place. But by longevity, it has already served enough fried rice and Mongolian chicken orders to last for 26 years. In fact, that's how long it has been in business. When it opened, the owner's son, Richard Hoang, who now mans the counter and take phone orders, was not even born yet. So there must be a reason for its staying power. Is it the chicken Lo Mein or the Hunan beef? Is it the fast-paced service? Or the price? Whatever it is, it's keeping the cash register ringing. It might be a little drive from downtown Highland Park, as it is located west of US-41, but apparently it's worth the drive for many who keep it in business. Both Mandarin and Cantonese dishes are available here. It also offers special lunch combos popular among customers who are looking for a quick fix.
- Hours: Tue - Sat, 11am - 9:30pm; Sun, 3pm - 9:30pm; Mon, closed
- Handicap Accessible: Handicap accessibility directly in front of the store
- Payments accepted: Cash, Debit Card, MasterCard, Personal Check, Visa
- Products: Chinese cuisine
- Food & dining options: Low calorie, Vegetarian
- General services: Phone orders, Take-out
- Menu link: newchina.weebly.com/menu.html
- Specialties: Mandarin and Cantonese dishes.
- ATM: No
- Parking: Free lot
- Private events: No
- What makes this community special?: Richard Hoang, the cashier, said, "It is a nice and laid-back community."
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Signature dishes: Fried rice and Mongolian beef.
- Price level: $
- Reservations: Not accepted
- Features: Dinner, Lunch