According to history, Phoenicia is an ancient civilization centered in Canaan, which consists of modern-day Israel, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Palestinian territory. It lies next to the eastern part of the Mediterraean Sea. It must be daunting to name a restaurant after it. But based on Internet buzz, this Highland Park joint has lived up to its name, when it comes to the crucial taste test.
While its interior is dated and its front store appearance drab, an al fresco experience over a platter of Kalaya or Shawarma may be rewarding. A Kafta Kabob, which is made of charbroiled minced sirloin beef mixed with chopped parsely, onions and seasoning, also sounds appealing. Phoenicia promises to "dazzle" you with its dishes, which are based on secret family recipes.
This restaurant is located along First Street next to the Highland Park train station. Also ask for their wine selection.
- Hours: Lunch: Tue-Sat, 11:30am-2:30pm; Dinner: Tue-Sat, 5pm-10pm; Sun, Mon, 4pm-9pm
- Handicap Accessible: Outdoor area only
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Debit Card, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Products: Mediterranean fare
- Food & dining options: Vegetarian
- General services: Catering, Eat-in, Prepared foods, Take-out
- Menu link: www.phoeniciacuisine.com/phoenicia%20menu.htm
- ATM: No
- Parking: On-street: free
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Signature dishes: Whole red snapper
- Price level: $$
- Reservations: Accepted
- Features: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor seating
- Atmosphere: Fine dining, Quiet
- Dress code: Casual to formal